twitter
    Let’s tweet together...

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Delhi, O Delhi – An unplanned sequel

The last post I made, with a similar title, was rather misinterpreted by certain sections of society (read some of the regulars here :P).

I had not intended to indulge in Delhi-bashing at all. On the contrary, I love the city and get defensive/offensive every time someone says something derogatory about it. I don’t subscribe to the negative connotations people ascribe to ‘Dilli ki ladkiyan’ or ‘Delhi males’ either.

What I had meant to convey was that despite the idiotic auto-wallahs, pollution, traffic, chaos, and overall madness, I still adore the city. I’ve lived nearly one-third of my life in Delhi and well, I can’t think of a city that feels more like home. Nope, not even my home city – Chandigarh.

Given a choice, I would love to settle down in Delhi – the land of culinary delights, the land deep-rooted in history and enigma, the land filled with nice  and friendly people.

And of course, the amount of warmth and affection I have got in this city from various people is unparalleled.

If you, dear reader, are from Delhi, I’m sure you’ll understand what I’m talking about.

And if you, dear reader, are not from Delhi, then you really ought to come to Delhi and experience what I’m talking about.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand.. I have similar emotions about my own city...

N said...

lol...i thought u meant it that way...n then when i read the post again, mujhe doubt ho gaya...ITNI bashing kar di thi tumne!! :P

but well, i know how it is...dilli meri jaan :)

Megha said...

Have you been to Mumbai ? ;)

Unknown said...

Ahem.. I liked the bashing version better :P But anyway... I dont have a counter for certain things to be read as culinary delights, nice and friendly people... ahem, I ll take that! :D *Talk about Anu and vanity* :)

Happy adoring! :)

Saurabh said...

I've been to Delhi many times, and liked it a lot. But, somehow, I feel that I'd love to settle down in Lucknow, it's not as big a city as Delhi, but I like it's history, warmth and culture. I hv this notion (n i may be grossly wrong) that ppl in Lucknow are far more polite than most other Indian cities that I have visited (no offences to Delhi's females or males) ;)

Siddhesh Kabe said...

AAargh delhi....grrr....Ok dude...Delhi oh Delhi...i am coming to Delhi for 2 more months...:D

will catch up wid ya...

Sameera said...

I am not from Delhi and I have a very old prejudice attached to the city. But whatever I may say I cannot help but be charmed by this place :)

A journey called Life said...

i second choco.. there was no negativity about ur previous post.. its just that u took liberty about a place that makes u love and not love it htat much , at hte same time

Scriber's Web said...

Your previous post did not come across as delhi bashing to me at all. I love delhi and lived there for many years. I am so envious of you right now. Hope you enjoy the good food there and write about it. Of course I'll be green with envy if you write about it:)

Sumit said...

Thanks everyone, for being kind enough to accept this clarification of a post. :)